
The final site I looked at in my class was -- http://adifference.blogspot.com/ - it contained definition I liked – which follows:
Infotention: “Honing the mental ability to deploy the form of attention appropriate for each moment is an essential internal skill for people who want to find, direct, and manage streams of relevant information by using online media knowledgeably.
WHEW!!! That was so well said, after having taken this course. It is all just a bit overwhelming at the moment.
Following is a quote from the “adifference” blog that gets to the heart of it all.
Feb. 27, 2010 post quotes:
“It's getting harder to attend to something that interests you because of the abundance of information available to us on any topic. So, how do you get to the "best" stuff about something that interests you?”
(At this point they suggest a person’s writing on the subject and then comes the following -- )
“Seems to me if you're information literate you know how to dig up a wealth of information on any topic that interests you fairly quickly. If you're information fluent then you can probably arrange to have only the very best of what's out there delivered to you while you sleep.”
---- I have a friend who does this onto an iPod so he can listen to it while he delivers a rural paper route each day!
My comments:
Part of me wishes I were already 80 instead of nearing 50 – then I could say I’m nearly done with this world and continue reading my printed paper book on my lap and picking up a plastic cordless phone and call a friend for a chat or (if I could still walk) take a long walk with a friend for a chat. Or turn on the radio and catch a bit of news and ask others what they’d heard or read about it all and what they thought.
Another part of me wishes I were 14 or 15 and could start there and have this technology come more as second nature rather than a painful time consuming thing I feel I must do to keep up with things in at least a way that makes me not seem so arcane -- or do I mean archaic!!?!!!
I know one thing I will be doing more of – praying – for all of us – as we learn to discern and to prioritize what information and how much of it we allow our days to be filled with. I’ll pray that we will still take time for real face to face interfacing and the turning of paper pages – even if it is cheap Amazon.com paper quality or lack thereof.
There is great value on the internet – I will definitely agree to that. However, the potential for using it for evil as well as good seems to be broadening out at lightning speed! I’m hanging on for dear life – are you?

No comments:
Post a Comment